Our innovative curriculum focuses on professionalism, communication, and stress tolerance, while incorporating the arts, yoga, and mindfulness. Interns learn in a risk-free environment, where they can make mistakes, practice work situations, receive feedback, and enter the workplace more successfully and confidently.
BroadFutures Program Dates:
- Summer 2019 Program:
06/10/2019 – 08/9/2019
- Winter 2020 Program:
01/27/2020 – 04/17/2020
TrainingBefore our participants even set foot in their internships, they engage in comprehensive training with a focus on professionalism, communications, workplace readiness skills, and social-emotional learning.
Before our participants even set foot in their internships, they engage in comprehensive training with a focus on professionalism, communications, workplace readiness skills, and social-emotional learning. We integrate the arts through the use of role-play, improvisation and graffiti art to facilitate engagement, create community, and solidify understanding of the curriculum. Yoga and mindfulness are used to address stress reduction and tolerance. Our training does not stop there but continues every Friday during the course of the internship.
INITIAL 2 WEEK TRAINING
- Highly individualized support, with an intern: staff ratio of 5:1
- Goal-setting and strategy implementation
- Time management and organization
- Professional communication and etiquette with an emphasis on:
- First Impressions
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Communications
- Perspective Taking
- Self-Advocacy and Taking Responsibility
- What to do when things go wrong
- Disclosure and Accommodations
- Mock Interviews
- Resume Writing, Cover Letters, LinkedIn
- Financial Literacy
- Career exploration with a career coach
- Presentations from workforce experts and professionals with disabilities
FRIDAY TRAININGS DURING INTERNSHIP
- Group and individual discussions on areas of success and areas for growth
- Reinforce skills learned in training and role-play areas for effective workplace performance and improvement
- Assessments of ongoing goals and strategies
- Speakers from the community
- Group outings
*BroadFutures does not pay commissions for referrals to our programs.*
MentorshipInterns work side-by-side with mentors and coaches who provide support and act as liaisons between interns, employers, and families.
Interns work side-by-side with mentors and coaches who provide support and act as liaisons between interns, employers, and families. Together they provide:
- Provide goal-setting and development before the program even begins.
- Continue to support and monitor the progress of interns’ goals throughout the program, both individually during the workweek and as a group during Friday trainings.
- Work to support and communicate with employers to ensure interns are succeeding in their internships.
InternshipsFollowing training, interns are placed into paid positions throughout the Washington, DC metro area, working approximately 20 hours per week for 2 to 3 months. Our employers include a wide range of industries and organizations.
Following training, interns are placed into paid positions throughout the Washington, DC metro area, working approximately 20 hours per week for 2 to 3 months. Our employers include a wide range of industries and organizations.
We have a diverse group of employer partners, representing the financial, energy, hospitality, non-profit, marketing, government and international business sectors. From The Smithsonian Institution to Senate and Congressional offices, the variety of opportunities allows us to carefully match employers’ needs with interns’ interests, skills, and strengths. To learn more about our employers, click here.
- 7-11 week PAID INTERNSHIPS
- 20 hours a week, Monday through Thursday
- Paid at least the DC minimum wage
- Winter program — $6,800
- Summer program — $5,200
- Interns will be expected to pay for their own housing, food, and transportation during their participation in the BroadFutures program.
- BroadFutures has a strong commitment to SCHOLARSHIPS. Admission decisions are need blind and scholarships are available to qualified students.
- If you would like to see a copy of our Diversity and Inclusion plan, you may download a copy here.